Saturday, March 29, 2014

CR250 Strip down

 As  I continue with the strip down of the CR250 there are lots of things that will need replaced, repaired, cleaned, greased and painted. The exhaust pipe is marginal. On the one hand it is an original 1987 Pro Circuit works pipe. On the other hand it is not in the greatest condition, no huge dents but it is a little wrinkly. Time will tell on this one weather it makes the cut to the final bike or not.
 The shock is again not great but not in really bad condition. I will have to rebuild it even though it functions the way it is, there is no telling how long the fluid has been in that thing. Three other items just on visual inspection. Bottom stop bumper is done, missing the adjustment knob and top bearing is a little loose.
 Here is the frame empty.  Bottom of the frame has seen better days.  I am contemplating the possibilities for fixing the mashed rails on the bottom.  There will be  a write up on it for sure.  It will be one of the first things I do cause really you can't put it back together until the frame is done.
The good is that there was not a single stripped bolt or bolt changed to SAE on the bike.  I know it hardly seems like a project bike if you don't run across some messed up bolts.
 There you have day one, all the parts stripped and put on the shelves and work tables ready to be taken apart even farther.  Cleaned and massaged back into as close to new serviceable condition as possible.

Leave comments, I do like to share what I can about project bikes and restorations.
Thanks for reading.


2 comments:

  1. Frame info is useful. You think the red paint is tuff enough? Stronger thanpowder coat? I need to do my 93cr250 frame...let me know if the frame paint holds up over time. Thanks. JESSEJAMESARENT@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frame info is useful. You think the red paint is tuff enough? Stronger thanpowder coat? I need to do my 93cr250 frame...let me know if the frame paint holds up over time. Thanks. JESSEJAMESARENT@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete