Sunday, March 30, 2014

CR250 Frame Work

The camera I was using doesn't
 focus close up very well.
Today is another rainy day in the NorthWest, we get a lot of those. So I decided to work on the frame for a while.

My plan:

 was to drill a couple of holes in the top of the frame then heat the dents and push them out with a blunt punch.  It was a good plan.
Step one Drill holes.....
Step two add Heat....




another blurry photo.
Step three hit punch with hammer. ( I really could have used a third hand at this point).



Sealed up the hole on top that
I drilled.
It worked pretty well. The tube came out a little bumpy but the dent was not as deep as when I started.  The problem I found with this is that now that the metal has been bent in and stretched back out it is much thinner than original.  I tried to weld a pass along one of the dents to give it some reinforcement and blew right through. It was paper thin.  This plan is not a good one.

NEXT PLAN.

It just happens that I had some 16g metal in a 1 inch wide strip. Perfect for reinforcing a mashed tube. I tacked it in place, heated and bent it to the shape of the frame and welded it in. 
This turned out pretty good. Should have just done it this way to start. Its all good though, a little patch work and its ready for the paint to come off.

No comments:

Post a Comment