Monday, May 6, 2013

It is coming soon ish. Probably start the process this winter 2013, I may get ambitious and start the tear down early. I have bike in the shop and have actually done a little pre work to it but have not even taken any photos of it yet. I will get to it. feel free to contact me and nudge me along but I have six bikes in the shop that mostly need work in some fashion or another all the time. Especially since it is race season once again. Until that time that I start posting in this space enjoy some of my other projects that I have done with the links to the right. Thanks for stopping by.

I just found some Photos of the CR250 from the day I brought it home. Have a look.
There is a lot wrong with this bike but there is also a lot good about it. The seat cover is riveted at the back of it cause it didn't reach well enough to stretch over the pan.

 The plastic is the wrong color for the year, it should be Flash Red, (kind of orange red) so the side panels and fenders were ordered a different color aftermarket stock so what does a person do about the tank and shrouds not matching? Paint them of coarse....with really thick paint!! That will be and interesting process to take care of. I hope that I can fix that mess cause the parts are actually in pretty nice shape.  OH! yea the frame might be the wrong color also in case you didn't notice that. haha.

The rear wheel is not the correct unit that is mounted on the bike right now, it has a disc hub with only four bolts in it and the stock 87 unit had six. Also has the wrong rims front and rear. I did get the original rims with the purchase of the bike and both units had been welded from cracks. The welds were surprisingly good and the rear one was usable for a spare runner. The front one even though the weld was good was so warped I think you would have gotten head shake riding in a straight line. What ever though, I have two good original hubs to build some nice wheels with.

I does have a Pro Circuit pipe that is in pretty decent shape for the age, it has a little bend to it so the alignment to the cylinder is off a touch and the opening that connects to the exhaust port on the cylinder was messed up. That is one of the things I already tinkered with, I welded a new sheet metal band around it and made a new metal gasket to fix the fit and seal of the unit. Worked really good, didn't take any before photos  of it but I will take some of the after at some point.
 Well that is what I have for now, a lot of worn out parts to go through but the motor runs really well and it is a great base for a project build. Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment